I’m really not a natural fan of salads, so believe me that when I share a salad recipe and say it’s super tasty – it really is! This shredded chicken, beetroot and pepita salad recipe is super easy to prepare ahead for the week, and is the perfect taste balance of creamy, sweet and crunchy with a hint of zing!
- 3 chicken breasts (or around 700-800g chicken)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 large beetroot
- mix bag salad leaves
- saurkraut with chilli (I used The Goods Spicy Kraut with Chilli)
- 2 tbsp garlic aioli
- 2 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Pre boil water in two saucepans, a large one for the chicken and another for the beetroot.
- Trim the top of the beetroot, leaving around 2cm and place in the boiling pot to cook. Leave for around 40 mins, or until cooked. I initially wasn’t sure how to cook beetroot and thought it would be messy, but it’s easy!
- In the large saucepan add a stock cube and salt and pepper to taste. Place in the whole chicken breasts once the water is boiling, and leave to cook for around 20 – 30 mins. =
- Once the beetroot has cooked, place into ice cold water and then gently remove the peel by hand before then slicing
- Once the chicken has cooked, place onto a chopping board and shred using a fork
- To make the dressing, combine the aioli, oil and vinegar in a bowl, storing in a container
- To prepare the salad, simply mix all of the ingredients together (around 1 heaped tbsp of kraut per serve), toss the salad (this is a vital step – nothing is worse than an unmixed salad) and enjoy! If you’re preparing this for the day/next day, simply put the dry ingredients (leaves and pepitas) on the bottom of the bowl and separate the others to avoid a soggy salad (which no-one wants!) I did this by simply using a foil divider in the container.
Like this recipe and want to save for later?
Add it your Pinterest board! And while you’re at it, don’t forget to follow us too!