I LOVE everything about all the different holidays – dressing up, decorating, music and of course every holiday celebration also comes along with delicious food. Halloween is my 3rd favourite holiday (after Christmas and my birthday of course, in that order) and while it’s often known mainly for it’s candy related treats, there’s no reason to not make themed food for the occasion too! I’ve partnered with ALDI this year to help bring you some healthy Halloween food ideas (which you can maybe finish off with just a little bit of candy afterwards).
These bolognese stuffed capsicums are not only super cute and easy to make for a Halloween theme, they’re also devilishly delicious! If you can find orange capsicums, these are obviously ideal!
- 500g grass fed beef mince
- olive oil, for cooking
- 2 garlic bulbs, finely minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 250 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 container (700g) organic tomato passata
- hot paprika & himalayan salt, to taste
- sugar or BBQ sauce, to taste
- basil leaves
- whole capsciums
- Parmesan cheese and basil to serve
- Start by heating the oil on a medium heat and first adding the garlic, being careful not to burn it
- Next, add the onions and cook through, followed by the carrots and mushrooms until they are soft but not burnt
- Add in the beef mince and season with Himalayan salt and hot paprika
- Once the meat is just brown, add the sauce and sugar or BBQ sauce (I use BBQ sauce sometimes instead of sugar as it’s still sweet, and for additional flavour), and raise the heat
- Once the sauce is simmering and bubbling away, change to a low heat and let simmer and reduce for at least half an hour, adding the basil leaves in near the end
- Let the sauce cool, and in the meantime cut up your scary capsicums! 4 medium sized ones should work perfectly with this mix.
- Preheat the over to 160°C
- Stuff your capsicums, top with Parmesan cheese and basil and roast for about 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Like this recipe and want to save for later?
Add it your Pinterest board! And while you’re at it, don’t forget to follow us too!
AND, for more healthy recipes and tips like this make sure to follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Comments are closed.